Wireless in Libraries

Munson, Doris dmunson at EWU.EDU
Tue Aug 9 11:50:37 EDT 2016

EWU IT has told me that wireless connectivity slows down significantly when you get more than 20 people using an access point. There are a couple of places in the library where we've had to add additional access points because of the number of people who regularly use wireless devices in those areas. We also had to put a second access point in our classroom because one is not enough for a class with 25 or more students.

The other problem we run into is how far the network wire has to run. The further it runs, the more problems we have with slow and dropped connections. It's required careful planning for network connections and access points in the far corners of the building.

Best,
Doris

Doris M. Munson
Access Services Librarian
Eastern Washington University
(509) 359-6395
dmunson at ewu.edu

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Bill Coffey
Sent: Tuesday, August 9, 2016 8:01 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Wireless in Libraries

We have a simple wireless access connection running 4 access points with a DHCP server.
We are having an issue with slow connections or access. From my statistics I see we have an average of 150 patrons access the wireless during the day.
I would like to know.

1.       Those that have wireless access with a Time Warner circuit, are they having issues with the network slowing down at random times of the day?

2.       We have a 50 x 5 circuit. What is your circuit to TWC.

3.       How many access points do you have?
Thanks

Bill Coffey
System Administrator
Wayne County Public Library