Wireless in Libraries

Jon Knight J.P.Knight at LBORO.AC.UK
Tue Aug 9 13:24:17 EDT 2016

On Tue, 9 Aug 2016, Bill Coffey wrote:
> We have a simple wireless access connection running 4 access points with
> a DHCP server.
> We are having an issue with slow connections or access. From my
> statistics I see we have an average of 150 patrons access the wireless
> during the day.
[...]
> 3.       How many access points do you have?

I can't help on the TWC aspects, but an average of 150 users spread over 4
APs might well be your problem, especially if those users aren't evenly
spread (so one or two APs is taking the bulk of the load).  There's lots
of nuances to WiFi sizing and coverage, but a rule of thumb is to aim for
around 25 users at most on each radio on each AP - fewer if the users are
all doing bandwidth intensive tasks such as video streaming.

You might also find that if you're covering large areas with these 4 APs
you'll have low bit rate "distant" connections using up comparatively long
periods of time.  If you haven't already done so, you might want to turn
off slower bit rates to ignore these distant, slow clients.

In my experience, libraries also have additional issues in that metal
shelving can act as wave guides for the microwave signals used in WiFi
comms.  This means that they can both act as shields attenuating the
signal in some places whilst also causing it to appear where you don't
necessarily expect it.  We tend to aim to cover areas around the edge of
the building and in the large "open" (no shelving) areas on each floor.

Hope that helps,

Jon