Self-hosted Alternative to Dropbox

Lolis, John jlolis at WHITEPLAINSNY.GOV
Wed Sep 16 11:34:25 EDT 2015

In our teen space the librarians have been using DropBox on the service
desk computer and the public access computers and laptops.  I have nothing
against DropBox, but I am against having the network's bandwidth getting
eaten up when someone decides to copy a video file to the DropBox folder.

So I'm looking for a self-hosted alternative to DropBox, one that could be
accessed by anyone on the private, wired network as well as by those on our
public wireless network (with restricted access, of course).  It would also
be great if there's iOS and Android support.

So far, I found this which seems the most promising: https://owncloud.org/.

Does anyone out there have any experience with it or have other solutions
to suggest?

Many thanks in advance!

John Lolis
Coordinator of Computer Systems
White Plains Public Library
100 Martine Avenue
White Plains, NY  10601

tel: 1.914.422.1497
fax: 1.914.422.1452

http://whiteplainslibrary.org/

*I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I
go into the other room and read a book.*     Groucho Marx

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2015-09-16