Self-hosted Alternative to Dropbox

R. Wood rw at NCF.CA
Wed Sep 16 11:50:49 EDT 2015

Some other possibilities here (and overall, a very interesting site): https://prism-break.org/en/categories/windows/#file-storage-sync

HTH,
R.

From: "Lolis, John" <jlolis at WHITEPLAINSNY.GOV>
To: "Web technologies in libraries" <WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 11:34:25 AM
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Self-hosted Alternative to Dropbox

In our teen space the librarians have been using DropBox on the service desk computer and the public access computers and laptops. I have nothing against DropBox, but I am against having the network's bandwidth getting eaten up when someone decides to copy a video file to the DropBox folder.

So I'm looking for a self-hosted alternative to DropBox, one that could be accessed by anyone on the private, wired network as well as by those on our public wireless network (with restricted access, of course). It would also be great if there's iOS and Android support.

So far, I found this which seems the most promising: https://owncloud.org/ .

Does anyone out there have any experience with it or have other solutions to suggest?

Many thanks in advance!

John Lolis
Coordinator of Computer Systems
White Plains Public Library
100 Martine Avenue
White Plains, NY 10601

tel: 1.914.422.1497
fax: 1.914.422.1452

http://whiteplainslibrary.org/

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2015-09-16