Who is blocking "hacker" countries by default from their proxy servers?

Hoyte, Daniel hoyte at CHAPMAN.EDU
Thu Apr 16 14:32:42 EDT 2015

What library/university do you represent?
               Chapman University, Leatherby Libraries

What type of proxy server are you using?
               EZProxy

Which countries are you blocking by default?
               China, India, Kenya, Qatar, Iran, Tunisia and Anonymous Proxy

What mechanisms are you using to activate proxy server access for your legitimate users who are traveling to your countries?
For individuals who are in those countries long term, Individual exceptions are added to our authentication files above the block country statements. This statements auto-expire when the user is scheduled to leave country.

For Student abroad groups, the country block is dropped for the duration of their stay. This is usually no more than three weeks.

Once a legitimate user is activated, is that access permanent or do they have to renew it occasionally?  If they have to renew, how often?
Our users are usually in those locations for a short term. Six months tends to be the maximum. They can contact me to extend access. So far, none have asked for an extension.

Daniel Hoyte M.R.S.
Senior Library Systems Technician
Leatherby Libraries, Chapman University
714-532-7745
Skype: daniel.hoyte

Nothing is impossible,
if you have enough adapters.
   -Dr. Walt to incoming class of
      Elecrical Engineering students
      1985

We are interested in finding out what libraries are using a "blocked by default" strategy to help reduce abuse of their proxy servers.  Please respond to my questions below...

What library/university do you represent?

What type of proxy server are you using?

Which countries are you blocking by default?

What mechanisms are you using to activate proxy server access for your legitimate users who are traveling to your countries?

Once a legitimate user is activated, is that access permanent or do they have to renew it occasionally?  If they have to renew, how often?

Thanks!

Annie Platoff
UCSB Library

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/