Looking for Beginner Web design projects for LIS590LWL for UIUC GSLIS LEEP Summer and Fall Semesters 2015

Diane K. Kovacs diane at KOVACS.COM
Sat Apr 11 18:30:38 EDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I'm happily, again, teaching LIS590LWL/LW2 Web Design and Construction
for Organizations" for UIUC LEEP again Summer and Fall Semesters 2015.
We cover HTML5, CSS3, Usability, Accessibility, User-Centered Design
principles, Technology options, etc.

I require each student to work with a 'client' to redesign an existing
Web site or create a new Web site for a non-profit organization,
preferably a special, academic, school, or public library, or library
organization, but other organizations or even for profit small business
sites are welcomed. The Summer 2015 semester is May 18 - August 6.,
2014.  The Fall 2015 semester is August 24 - December 9.

These are Library School students working through Distance Learning who
are just beginning with Web Design, HTML5 and CSS3.

What we are looking for is small scale redesign projects, e.g., one area
of a larger site - or a new design for a special patron group.  Students
work for you will be an example or dummy site constructed with simple
HTML5 and CSS3, that you may choose to use or not use.  They will also
choose an open source CMS or Template site as a secondary option to
implement your example or dummy site design. That also you may choose to
use or not use. (e.g, Wordpress, Googlesites, Weebly)

Please NOTE:
We cannot work with anyone who is looking for Web development (e.g.,
PHP/Python programming, Mysql or other database management, server
maintenance, proprietary content management systems, etc.) and
We cannot work with those who merely want link-checking, spell-checking,
and general clerical work.

I cannot guarantee that any of my students will choose your projects.
Also, some larger scale projects, the students may form teams to work on
them.

Students may also choose the library they currently work in or a
non-profit organization known to them to work with. So, if you would
like to be on the list of projects for my students to consider please
email me with the following information:

What I need from you:

1. Contact person(s) with email and telephone numbers (this would be the
'client' that students are expected to interview and interact with
cooperatively to come up with design options)

2. The URL of the current Web site (if there is one - otherwise URL of
the overall site associated with your organization)

3. Brief description of what you would like to have done with the site.

4. A commitment by the contact person(s) to be available by email or
Webchat from June 14 - August 7, 2014 to work with my students during
the Summer Semester.Availability of a contact person is critical.

I will respond to you with additional questions and/or whether your
project fits our scope in terms of time and expertise of students and
verify you want to be on the list.

Thank you!
Diane

--