Who is blocking "hacker" countries by default from their proxy servers?

Deborah Ann Holmes-Wong dhwong at USC.EDU
Mon Apr 13 13:17:41 EDT 2015

This is from our ezproxy administrator, answers are below:

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Annie Platoff
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2015 4:59 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU<mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU>
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Who is blocking "hacker" countries by default from their proxy servers?

We are interested in finding out what libraries are using a "blocked by default" strategy to help reduce abuse of their proxy servers.  Please respond to my questions below...

What library/university do you represent?

University of Southern California

What type of proxy server are you using?

Ezproxy

Which countries are you blocking by default?

None currently (but we did in the past)

What mechanisms are you using to activate proxy server access for your legitimate users who are traveling to your countries?

In the past a "white list" of those usernames was embedded in our configuration file preceding the block country directive.

Once a legitimate user is activated, is that access permanent or do they have to renew it occasionally?  If they have to renew, how often?

User accounts at USC vary.  Faculty & staff accounts are permanent based upon continued employment at USC.  Students must be enrolled in courses.  Others vary, but accounts must be reviewed and renewed by departmental administrators at least every fourteen months.

I am reposting this question.  Since I posted it late on Friday afternoon I wonder if most people missed seeing it.

So far I have not heard back from any libraries that are currently doing this.

We are interested in finding out what libraries are using a "blocked by default" strategy to help reduce abuse of their proxy servers.  Please respond to my questions below...

What library/university do you represent?

What type of proxy server are you using?

Which countries are you blocking by default?

What mechanisms are you using to activate proxy server access for your legitimate users who are traveling to your countries?

Once a legitimate user is activated, is that access permanent or do they have to renew it occasionally?  If they have to renew, how often?

Thanks!

Annie Platoff
UCSB Library

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/