Institutional permission/approval for usability testing?

Steven Turner sjturner at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 21 12:26:59 EDT 2014

Hi Alec - we went through the IRB process here at Alabama for both general
website usability as well as testing for specific properties like
Libguides. Our administration requested that we do so, and we additionally
want to publish our results. Users have unique identifiers for statistical
analysis reasons but nothing that ties them to their personal identity.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Alexander Sonsteby <
Alexander.Sonsteby at metrostate.edu> wrote:

>   Hi, all,
>

>  I am writing to ask how many of your libraries have sought institutional
> review board (IRB)/human subject review board (HSRB) approval to conduct
> informal usability testing on your libraries' websites. By "informal" I
> mean that you don't record your test subjects, track their names or other
> personal identifiers (like student ID numbers) in a database, etc.
>

>  I realize that this may be a sensitive topic for some, so feel free to
> write me off-list if you prefer.
>

>  Thank you,
>
> Alec
>

>   *Alec Sonsteby, M.S.*
> Associate Professor and Reference & Instruction Librarian
>
>  (O) 651.793.1636
> (F) 651.793.1615
> alexander.sonsteby at metrostate.edu
>
>  Metropolitan State University