Institutional permission/approval for usability testing?

Ken Varnum varnum at UMICH.EDU
Wed Oct 22 16:17:46 EDT 2014

We [University of Michigan Library] applied for and obtained blanket IRB
approval for that informal usability studies, though our definition of
informal may include the recording of subjects.

--
Ken Varnum | Web Systems Manager | University of Michigan Library
varnum at umich.edu | @varnum | 734-615-3287

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Alexander Sonsteby <
Alexander.Sonsteby at metrostate.edu> wrote:

>   Hi, all,
>

>  I am writing to ask how many of your libraries have sought institutional
> review board (IRB)/human subject review board (HSRB) approval to conduct
> informal usability testing on your libraries' websites. By "informal" I
> mean that you don't record your test subjects, track their names or other
> personal identifiers (like student ID numbers) in a database, etc.
>

>  I realize that this may be a sensitive topic for some, so feel free to
> write me off-list if you prefer.
>

>  Thank you,
>
> Alec
>

>   *Alec Sonsteby, M.S.*
> Associate Professor and Reference & Instruction Librarian
>
>  (O) 651.793.1636
> (F) 651.793.1615
> alexander.sonsteby at metrostate.edu
>
>  Metropolitan State University