Hosting Services: Dedicated? VPS? Own?

Michael J. Paulmeno mpaulmeno at DELTASTATE.EDU
Sun May 11 10:56:52 EDT 2014

At work our campus IT folks have a set of servers on which they create virtual machines using VMware.  These include Active Directory, WordPress, printing, etc.  Our catalog server is a separate, physical machine here at the library.

Where personal projects are concerned, AWS looks interesting, but rather confusing.  I’ve heard good things about Linode: https://www.linode.com/.  Their pricing seems to be comparable to Digital Ocean although I have no experience with either.

Cheers,
Mike

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Roy Tennant
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2014 1:49 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Hosting Services: Dedicated? VPS? Own?

The following is posted on behalf of Jorge Biquez <jbiquez at icsmx.com<mailto:jbiquez at icsmx.com>>.
Roy

Hello all.

I was wondering how you have your services working?
I know some of you work in large organizations with on "unlimited"
budget! but how are they working? I mean. One central mainframe?
Cloud servers? Cluster of servers online?

Maybe some of you can not comment at all since it is private information.

I ask this since we are thinking of having some services in VPS or
small dedicated servers. Not in a cluster or in a cloud, yet, but
with some resources shared between them.

BY the way, if you have worked for personal projects or the ones of
your work with a good VPS or dedicated server provider please share
the link of them.

Have a great day.

Jorge Biquez

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/