Webcam to broadcast line in library cafe?

Steven Turner sjturner at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 9 11:57:20 EDT 2014

I agree with Laura - many colleges and universities have been hosting
webcams for a very long time without issues - Sewanee, Auburn, etc. we  -
UA - have even placed them in our Rec center to have realtime access to
view current capacity in order to alleviate crowding issues - in fact, if
there was ever a place to consider stalking issues, it would be a
university rec center. Additionally we are a very conservative (legally)
university, so I cannot imagine there are any possible issues in terms of
state or federal or even case law with these cameras as our legal counsel
would have performed considerable vetting prior to allowing the cameras. I
personally think the advantages outweigh any privacy concerns.

Additionally, many states have live views of any and all traffic cameras
located within that state (Mississippi and Louisiana's are highly
accessible and the view of traffic, people, license plates, activities,
etc., is highly visible).

I find this timely as well as I have been pushing on and off for my
institution to implement something similar. We already provide real time
mapping of computer usage and campus bus locations, so to me, this would be
an extension of those sorts of services, but even more interesting and just
as useful

Steven.