Libguides and UX

Cabus, Michael CabusM at PHILAU.EDU
Mon May 5 18:33:11 EDT 2014

Hi
  I wish I could find it...but can't;

I saw a great presentation on ux and libguides...the presenter, towards the start, just showed a series of say, 20 slides, that showed random libguides from universities...I don't remember if she included horror music, but watching that slide show was...horrifying to say the least...(this was her point and she was nice enough to mark out the library names, and promised us it was a random sample).

She was questioning our reliance on them, and really, I do too...the best use I have seen for them is integration within a discovery tool..so, if someone does a search on an engineering topic, the guide comes up..

Would perhaps other formats be better?  An interactive slide deck or presentation?  An interactive ebook? There are many new media out there...and maybe we should explore those instead?

Michael Cabus

________________________________
From: Web technologies in libraries [WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] on behalf of David Holt [dholt at SCU.EDU]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2014 6:00 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Libguides and UX

Interesting question.  My opinion is that you may have these same problems using a CMS (such as Drupal) as you would libguides.  Both systems need a style guide to ensure consistency and meet patron expectations.

I was very reluctant to adopt libguides in my library for the same reasons you are listing here.  We were a late adopter.  However, after we purchased a subscription I did see the value.  For one, the SEO on libguides is quite high so you are going to attract traffic that you would otherwise not get.  If your library provides public services, or you simply want to raise the public profile of your library, then this may be valuable.

In terms of interface consistency, I think we are going to see a lot of libraries use Libguides 2.0 (which is just now coming out) as their main library interface.  There are a number of advantages of doing that (ease in creating search widgets, refreshing the content on the library's landing page, use of Bootstrap for mobile usage, ease in adding dynamic content, etc.).

Just my $.02,

David