Libguides and UX

David Holt dholt at SCU.EDU
Mon May 5 18:00:16 EDT 2014

Interesting question.  My opinion is that you may have these same problems
using a CMS (such as Drupal) as you would libguides.  Both systems need a
style guide to ensure consistency and meet patron expectations.

I was very reluctant to adopt libguides in my library for the same reasons
you are listing here.  We were a late adopter.  However, after we purchased
a subscription I did see the value.  For one, the SEO on libguides is quite
high so you are going to attract traffic that you would otherwise not get.
 If your library provides public services, or you simply want to raise the
public profile of your library, then this may be valuable.

In terms of interface consistency, I think we are going to see a lot of
libraries use Libguides 2.0 (which is just now coming out) as their main
library interface.  There are a number of advantages of doing that (ease in
creating search widgets, refreshing the content on the library's landing
page, use of Bootstrap for mobile usage, ease in adding dynamic content,
etc.).

Just my $.02,

David

--