3D printer promotion

Butler, Paul prbutler at BSU.EDU
Thu Apr 24 16:21:39 EDT 2014

Hi Joyce,

While I was at the University of Mary Washington we had the ThinkLab<http://umwthinklab.com/>, which was is a hacker/makerspace with a few 3D printers and many other fun tools/toys.

We had a 24-hour hackathon where anyone could drop in and play and experiment. We had pizza and candy and demo'd all the tools.

>From that experience I would suggest something similar, but perhaps not a 24-hour event. Be sure to print up a bunch of cool examples folks can examine/hold, and little trinkets they can take away with them (eg, keychain with your school's logo). Have a few computers with Thingiverse loaded and show they all the possibilities, and let folks print items start to finish. Be sure to temper their expectations in terms of print times, and keep examples small for quick turnaround. Have other things they can look at, like books/magazines about 3D Printing/MakerSpace/etc. And be sure to give them a fact sheet to take away, with your policies/pricing/hours, etc.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers, Paul

Paul R Butler, mslis

Library Technologies Support Analyst

Library Information Technology Services (L.I.T.S)

Ball State University

Muncie, IN  47306

P: 765.285.8032

E: prbutler at bsu.edu

University Libraries...a destination for research, learning, and friends

The University Libraries provide services that support student pursuits for academic success and faculty endeavors for knowledge creation and classroom instruction.