Reference via chat?

Avery, Beth Beth.Avery at UNT.EDU
Thu Mar 7 14:07:29 EST 2013

There's information about the My Info Quest at http://www.myinfoquest.info/BrochureForLibrarians.pdf
http://www.myinfoquest.info/about2.htm

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Melanie Hogue
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 12:54 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Reference via chat?

Pardon cross-posting - What solutions are your libraries currently using for reference via texting/chat? I find all sorts of great articles about successes but very little about workflows or tech info about how these are set up.

Specifically, we would like patrons to be able to text to a chat window from their phones (but not have to answer with a phone. Multiple devices seem inefficient and small keyboards are awkward. I looked into Google; but it seems patrons have to be registered members before they can initiate (call us instead of us - them) via chat.

Melanie A. Hogue, Systems Librarian
Chestatee Regional Library System
Dawsonville, Georgia
706-344-3690 Ext. 20