Reference via chat?

Gillian Wiseman gwiseman at CI.WACO.TX.US
Thu Mar 7 14:01:19 EST 2013

We use a service called Mosio (textalibrarian). On the patron end they
can either text us or send an email or chat from the library website's
link. Then on our end we are logged in to a webpage; emails and chat
come through in the website; texts pop up a separate box in the corner
of the screen.

We can also set up so that each email sends us an alert so we know
something new has come in. Alerts are customizeable by the individual
who is logged in "on duty". We find it works fairly well for our light
load of incoming requests.

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On
Behalf Of Melanie Hogue
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 12:54 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Reference via chat?

Pardon cross-posting - What solutions are your libraries currently using
for reference via texting/chat? I find all sorts of great articles about
successes but very little about workflows or tech info about how these
are set up.

Specifically, we would like patrons to be able to text to a chat window
from their phones (but not have to answer with a phone. Multiple devices
seem inefficient and small keyboards are awkward. I looked into Google;
but it seems patrons have to be registered members before they can
initiate (call us instead of us - them) via chat.

Melanie A. Hogue, Systems Librarian

Chestatee Regional Library System

Dawsonville, Georgia

706-344-3690 Ext. 20