Reference via chat?

Melanie Hogue mhogue at CHESTATEELIBRARY.ORG
Thu Mar 7 13:53:38 EST 2013

Pardon cross-posting - What solutions are your libraries currently using for
reference via texting/chat? I find all sorts of great articles about
successes but very little about workflows or tech info about how these are
set up.

Specifically, we would like patrons to be able to text to a chat window from
their phones (but not have to answer with a phone. Multiple devices seem
inefficient and small keyboards are awkward. I looked into Google; but it
seems patrons have to be registered members before they can initiate (call
us instead of us - them) via chat.

Melanie A. Hogue, Systems Librarian

Chestatee Regional Library System

Dawsonville, Georgia