Random & Casual Poll: What abt. Web Services Should You Know?

Cary Gordon listuser at CHILLCO.COM
Wed Sep 12 03:21:05 EDT 2012

Learning a programming language can be useful, but I think that
learning about programming will provide a better base in the long
term. I have coded in many languages, some of which I like, others,
not so much. The structural, goal-oriented approach that I learned
programming on cards (3x5 cards, not Hollerith — computer time was
expensive) has served me well across all of them, and enabled me to
make informed choices, where there were choices to be made.

I also agree that learning about databases, not just SQL, can be very
useful. I went to school in the pre-SQL, when dinosaurs roamed the
data center era, and was schooled in SQL through books and Microsoft
training. When I went back to school for my masters, I took the
opportunity to take a modern database class, and even with my pretty
extensive experience, I found it very valuable. For math-heads, a
little set theory won't hurt in that regard, either.

Thanks,

Cary

--
Cary Gordon