Random & Casual Poll: What abt. Web Services Should You Know?

Griffy, Henry griffy.2 at OSU.EDU
Tue Sep 11 22:06:09 EDT 2012

It seems like the most crucial thing (for success) is not knowing how to use these various languages, but just knowing they exist and understanding the differences between them: the various problems they were created to solve and the various ways they do so.

  *   The LAMP stack (and Win/iOS/Android equivalents).
  *   The content/style/behavior division -- and options for manipulating each.
  *   The varieties of media types and the complications of handling them.
  *   What an algorithm is.
  *   The difference between structured data and other kinds of content.
  *   The complications of alphabets and their representations (character sets and fonts).

And at least three over-arching problems:

  *   Accessibility (device-, disability-, and user-experience-based)
  *   Sustainability
  *   Privacy

All the Babel of languages (in my experience) are hella confusing without some kind of conceptual framework and understanding of the distinctions their creators are working with.  Once you get those distinctions, the details make way more sense.

Henry Griffy
Learning Technologies Grant Support
Office of the CIO
370 Science and Engineering Library