Random & Casual Poll: What abt. Web Services Should You Know?

Rosalyn Metz rosalynmetz at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 12 09:41:14 EDT 2012

Communication. Communication. Communication.  I think as long as you have
an aptitude to learn a new technology, you can put your mind to it.  The
hard part is being able to communicate what it is that you're going to be
doing.

For example, I want to build an application that is going to accomplish a
particular task for my user.  In the end, the user doesn't really want to
know what language I build it in.  What the user wants to know is whether
or not my application is going to have this feature or that feature.  If I
can't communicate with a user in order to discover what it is they want and
what I can do to deliver it, the number of programming languages, web
tools, etc. that I know will be completely useless.

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Michael Schofield <mschofield at nova.edu>wrote:

> Hi everyone,****
>
> ** **
>
> Every so often in the library blogosophere I see posts dedicated to
> whether librarians should know how to code. The answer I usually give is
> awful - something like, “Um. Probably.” Anyway, since you all work with the
> web and/or library systems, I’m curious about your wizened answers. Here’s
> the scenario: *if a LIS student intending to work in web services *(or
> w/e) *asked your advice, what code / platforms / other skills would you
> recommend for success?*****
>
> ** **
>
> I’ll compile and share the results in a couple of weeks.****
>
> ** **
>
> All the best,****
>
> ** **
>
> *M*ichael *Schofield*(@nova.edu) | Web Services Librarian****
>
> Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center****
>
> ** **
>
> Hi! Hit me up *any* time, but I’d *really* appreciate it if you report *broken
> links*, *bugs*, your meeting *minutes*, or request an awesome *web app*over on the Library
> Web Services <http://staff.library.nova.edu/pm> site.****
>
> ** **
>
> Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
>
> 2012-09-10