People network visualization

Kimberly Silk kimberly.silk at ROTMAN.UTORONTO.CA
Thu May 31 15:58:29 EDT 2012

** apologies for cross-posting **

Hi everyone,

Here at our happy think tank we have an informal network of researchers from around the world who collaborate from time-to-time on various academic papers. Once a year, we bring together these researchers here at our office for a few days so that they can communicate and collaborate face-to-face. The rest of the year, their communication is largely virtual. This network is always growing and changing shape ---new researchers join, many change positions and jobs, and we lose a few now and then.

What I'd like to do is use an interactive visualization on our web site that will allow researchers to find each other. I want to "tag" the researchers according to their areas of study (I can develop a taxonomy here), affiliated institution, what years they attended our annual conference, etc.

I am looking at TheBrain, which is neat, but I want to embed it in our web site (wordpress). Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Kim

Kimberly Silk, MLS
Data Librarian, Martin Prosperity Institute
Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto

President-Elect, SLA Toronto Chapter
Member, SLA 2012 Chicago Conference Advisory Council

Office: 416-673-8586
Mobile: 416-721-8955
Kimberly.silk at martinprosperity.org<mailto:Kimberly.silk at martinprosperity.org>
@kimberlysilk