People network visualization

Ku Liping gulp at MAIL.LAS.AC.CN
Thu May 31 22:10:32 EDT 2012

Dear Colleague,

1. Pls, to ask the manager of Web4LIB, whether your idea is allowed and whether you will get some useful information from the manager.

2. My personaly suggestion is to send a Excel sheet for member of Web4LIB, and give the reason about the relevant benefit and necessary.

3. Besides, I would like to support you, if you need.

All best,
AlanKu

-----原始邮件-----
发件人: "Kimberly Silk" <kimberly.silk at ROTMAN.UTORONTO.CA>
发送时间: 2012年6月1日 星期五
收件人: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
抄送:
主题: [WEB4LIB] People network visualization

** apologies for cross-posting **

Hi everyone,

Here at our happy think tank we have an informal network of researchers from around the world who collaborate from time-to-time on various academic papers. Once a year, we bring together these researchers here at our office for a few days so that they can communicate and collaborate face-to-face. The rest of the year, their communication is largely virtual. This network is always growing and changing shape ---new researchers join, many change positions and jobs, and we lose a few now and then.

What I’d like to do is use an interactive visualization on our web site that will allow researchers to find each other. I want to “tag” the researchers according to their areas of study (I can develop a taxonomy here), affiliated institution, what years they attended our annual conference, etc.

I am looking at TheBrain, which is neat, but I want to embed it in our web site (wordpress). Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Kim

Kimberly Silk, MLS

Data Librarian, Martin Prosperity Institute

Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto

President-Elect, SLA Toronto Chapter

Member, SLA 2012 Chicago Conference Advisory Council

Office: 416-673-8586

Mobile: 416-721-8955

Kimberly.silk at martinprosperity.org

@kimberlysilk