Software for making maps of library shelving

Tom Cramer tcramer at STANFORD.EDU
Fri May 4 11:46:48 EDT 2012

For the main library at Stanford, we use a product called StackMap.

	http://stackmap.com

Because our materials shift constantly, it was critical to have an administrative interface where stack staff could update call number ranges and apply them to shelf ranges. Their admin UI for this is very impressive.

Patrons see a _Map_ link when the item is in the stacks in Green, with a  pop up that includes a zoomable map of the appropriate floor, a dynamically drawn indicator to show the book's location on the floor, and text directions for navigating there (for accessibility).

See http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/9525542/ and click on the Map link (center column, below the book cover) for an example.

- Tom

On May 3, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Wilhelmina Randtke wrote:

> What software have you found useful in making maps of the library interior?
>
> What I want to do is to make a map of the library stacks, showing what call numbers generally are located where, so that patrons can quickly look and see where to go to access a certain call number.  I don't want to spend too much time drawing boxes, I want it to look pretty without much tweaking, and I want the file to be easy to open and edit later.
>
> -Wilhelmina Randtke
>
> Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
>
> 2012-05-03

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/