Software for making maps of library shelving

Demian Katz demian.katz at VILLANOVA.EDU
Fri May 4 06:59:40 EDT 2012

There is a blog post here describing how we approached the map problem at Villanova:

http://blog.library.villanova.edu/libtech/2011/09/14/interactive-map-building-using-the-raphael-javascript-library/

Our approach was fairly technical and involved a lot of box-drawing, but now that the initial work is completed, it's fairly straightforward to maintain.

- Demian
________________________________
From: Web technologies in libraries [WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] on behalf of Wilhelmina Randtke [randtke at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 4:04 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Software for making maps of library shelving

What software have you found useful in making maps of the library interior?

What I want to do is to make a map of the library stacks, showing what call numbers generally are located where, so that patrons can quickly look and see where to go to access a certain call number.  I don't want to spend too much time drawing boxes, I want it to look pretty without much tweaking, and I want the file to be easy to open and edit later.

-Wilhelmina Randtke

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-05-03

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/