RES: [WEB4LIB] Software for making maps of library shelving

Michelangelo M M Viana mviana at PUCRS.BR
Thu May 3 16:28:16 EDT 2012

Dear Wilhelmina,

Some time ago I made 3D maps of library stacks - integrated to the OPAC
(Aleph) - using Google SketchUp.

Each 3D floor model was based on the library floor plans, and is used to
indicate where (floor and stacks line) is located the item found.

How the solution works:

- capture the library area code (library has four areas: A, B, C, D);

- capture the first numbers of the item call number (DDC), and for some
cases also the author's marks (Cutter-Sanborn 3 figures);

- lookup the stack code on a matrix for that combination (DDC+Cutter);

- open a GIF image with that stack code.

Eg:

Area is: "A"

Item call number is: "T 301.18 A447i"

Takes: "A, T, 301.18"

Lookup for "A, 301.18" in the matrix

Find A25 as the stacks line

Show A25.gif

Google SketchUp requires some practice, however once the image is
created, it's easy to be edited later.

See some examples, clicking on [Location on Shelf]:

http://verum.pucrs.br/F/?func=item-global&doc_library=PUC01&doc_number=0
00436394&con_lng=eng

http://verum.pucrs.br/F/?func=item-global&doc_library=PUC01&doc_number=0
00437575&con_lng=eng

Regards,

Michelangelo

Michelangelo Mazzardo Marques Viana | Support and Development

Central Library Systems Coordinator. Librarian CRB-10/1306

Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul - PUCRS

Ir.  Jose Otao Central Library | Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil

+55(51) 3320.3544 r. 4371 | mviana at pucrs.br |
http://www.pucrs.br/biblioteca