Software for making maps of library shelving

Paul Butler (pbutler3) pbutler3 at UMW.EDU
Thu May 3 16:52:14 EDT 2012

Howdy,
Last year I did this with an early version of Adobe Elements (I just get a copy of Adobe CS5.1 - woohoo!).  I created the general outline of the building, and reused it for each floor.  I did the same for shelves, tables, etc.  The key for me was using layers and grouping like items in folders. I could create a shelf image once as its own layer and then just recreate the layer as many times as need, combining layers as I went, and move things.

I have been able to use the same, large, master file to create maps for our website, evacuation maps, and brochures. It is great having everything in layers because as the building changes I can just go back into those master files and move around layers and create what we need.

Let me know if you have any questions about the process or want to see a file.

Cheers, Paul
Paul R Butler
Assistant Systems Librarian
Simpson Library