Wireless Printing...

HAZEL Margaret E Margaret.E.Hazel at CI.EUGENE.OR.US
Thu Mar 15 19:16:09 EDT 2012

We have the same issue of a separate wireless network that Thomas mentioned.  We have not yet found a viable solution.  What we need is something to meet the regular requests of our wireless users, for which we can automatically charge (no staff intervention), and which will not cost 10x the amount we collect for printing.

Currently, we allow wireless users to transfer standard Office files to a thumb drive, and then use it on one of our Database/Office public computers, which has LPTOne installed to take care of print cost charges.

-Margaret

Margaret Hazel
Virtual Branch & Innovative Tech Manager
Eugene Public Library
Eugene, OR
541-682-6015
margaret.e.hazel at ci.eugene.or.us

-----Original Message-----
From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Collins, Matthew S
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:54 AM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [WEB4LIB] Wireless Printing...

Cross network wireless printing could be set up based on individual user permissions.  We have it here at Emory, but all of the users on that network are those with registered ids (students, faculty, staff).  Students can print wirelessly in just about every building on campus and then swipe an id or copy card to pay.  Seems to work OK, but our university tech services manages the whole thing so I don't have any stats.    Guest network users cannot print wirelessly.
-Matthew

Matthew Collins, PhD, MLIS
mscolli at emory.edu