Question: Virtual Libraries

Norma Jean Hewlett hewlett at USFCA.EDU
Tue Jan 24 21:21:09 EST 2012

At the Steelhead Public Library on SecondLife, we have book objects
that link to online versions of about 60 different ebooks. Some are
from Project Gutenberg, others are public domain works that were
digitized by Google or other providers. (Due to improvements in
scanning technology, many of the newer scans are much better quality
than Gutenberg's.)

The Caledon Library and Community Virtual Library have created
SecondLife virtual objects for far more books than this, probably
several hundred in total. At one time there was a SecondLife Library
of Alexandria that attempted to collect every book published on SL,
but I haven't heard anything from them lately and don't know if they
are still in operation.

The library at Rockcliffe University has several online databases that
their students can use from within SecondLife, and I believe this is
true of libraries on some other SecondLife university campuses as
well.

Jean Hewlett
Librarian, Santa Rosa Campus
University of San Francisco

aka Riven Homewood
Director, Steelhead Public Library, SecondLife