Question: Virtual Libraries

Malakia Oglesby moglesby at ASBURYPARKLIBRARY.ORG
Wed Jan 25 10:42:31 EST 2012

Good morning everyone,

Speaking of the Library of Alexandria...  I'm developing a website called
SecondLibraries about libraries in Second Life and other virtual worlds
(which will include information and examples of innovations in virtual
technologies and virtual worlds, integration of traditional services with
virtual services as well as new services that arise out of virtual
presences, virtual reference and community outreach programs, a directory of
libraries in the "metaverse", that sort of thing).

I am interested in pursuing a grant to help with the costs of purchasing,
developing, and maintaining a 1/2 or Full SIM for the project.  One of the
major things I wanted to do with the space is to create virtual
representations of all the world libraries (or as many as I can fit) that
have been destroyed (modern and historical).  I started working with the
list over on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_destroyed_libraries,_archives_and_museu
ms.  I have not yet research grants that may be applicable.

If anyone knows of any other sources for this kind of information (grants
specifically for virtual projects, or other grants that may include this
kind of project, SL libraries that have been destroyed, etc.) would you
please email me.

Also, if there are any SL residents on this list that would not mind sharing
information please email me your SL username so that I can visit with you in
world.  My current SL username is "Vida Magnifico" but I will be creating an
alt to use specifically with this project.

Finally, I could certainly use some help so....if there is anyone out there
interested in contributing to the project please let me know.

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,
Malakia
Malakia Oglesby, MIS