Question: Virtual Libraries

Lisa Cohn lcohn at BPLNJ.ORG
Mon Jan 23 10:30:28 EST 2012

Melanie

Yes, Librarians in Second Life are offering complete virtual libraries.
There are links to books that can be downloaded.  Displays on a number of
topics and subjects.

I just took over leadership of the Science Fiction and Fantasy area of the
Community Virtual Library in Second Life.  My area is still being built, so
I have mostly resources being built.  We haven't had any programs in the
new portal yet, since I'm still building it up, but CVL, the Community
Virtual Library also has programs:

>nightly story readings of great literature or amusing literature in voice.
This is truly immersive literature when the world can be built around the
story and those attending with avatars can be something other than human.
Imagine listening to a story about faeries in a darkened woodland landscape
with fairies all around listening to the story.
> book discussions, philosophy discussions, film discussions, author talks.
> Reference Desk staffed by volunteer librarians that help new comers to
the virtual worlds get aclimated, as there is a fairly steep learning
curve.
I'm sure i'm forgetting a lot of things.

And much more.  There's professional friendships and sharing of advice and
ideas from librarians around the world.  Not just librarians, of course,
but people who love libraries.  It's a fantastic platform for professional
education.

I greatly encourage anyone who is interested to get involved.  It's a
wonderful group of people.  Look online at www.infoisland.org, or look
Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/AllianceVirtualLibrary.
My own Portal to SciFi and Fantasy has it's own Facebook page....please
like it and check it out.
I've been loading pictures of the new area as we build it.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Portal-to-Sci-Fi-Fantasy/149507778435956

If any of you are in Second Life and would like a tour, or are interested
enough to get involved, please email me off list.  I'll be happy to get you
started and introduce you to any number of other librarians who would also
give you a virtual hand in.

Lisa

Lisa Cohn, WebMaster, Programming
Bloomfield Public Library
90 Broad Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003
(973) 566-6200 x217, lcohn at bplnj.org,
http://www.bplnj.org/
Follow us on Twitter (bplnj) & Facebook!
Sign up for our new eNewsletter listserv.