Locking down IE on public computers - Try Userful

Robert Talbert retalbert at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 14 02:36:47 EST 2012

Lock down your system? Then why stick with Microsoft?
There is a product I have used at the university for application and web
browsing. Userful also has a Kiosk version which is locked down. It is a
Ubuntu Linux machine which, as a bonus, can have multiple dual monitor
cards and USB keyboards, mice, and USB audio. By that I mean I have set
up one Pentium i7 system as a ten (10) workstation computer. Our ten
headed system worked off long USB and video cables stretching across
five desks.

I am not affiliated with Userful but found it to be a very reliable
money saving system. Build your own or buy a complete configured system
from Userful.

Userful MultiSeat v4.1 has now become an official, stable release. This
release can now be downloaded from Userful.com:
http://www.userful.com/support/all-downloads/ums-download

For complete documentation, visit http://support.userful.com/ums-manual

Robert E Talbert

I'd like to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.-Anonymous

On 1/13/2012 1:14 PM, Riesner, Giles W. wrote:

> We had done this a number of years back making some of our Library
> PC's "Catalog Only" stations.
>
> I put together the details along the line and have a 2 pager or so
> available from:
>
> http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~griesner/CCBCLIB/OpacOnly-details.pdf
> <http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/%7Egriesner/CCBCLIB/OpacOnly-details.pdf>
>
> Years back in the Library we used Fortres to lock down our PCs and
> since then the College moved to
>
> Using the Centurion Guard (hardware/software combo) and Drive Shield
> (software only) and now
>
> Deep Freeze. All do the same as Steady State but cost you some money
> for the solution.
>
> I'll be glad to answer any questions about what we're doing now or
> have done in the past.
>
> *Giles W. Riesner, Jr. *|Lead Library Technician , Library Technology
>
> The Community College of Baltimore County|800 South Rolling Road
> |Catonsville, MD 21228 USA
> Phone:  1-443-840-2736 |Fax: 1-410-455-6436 |Email:  griesner at ccbcmd.edu//
>
> /CCBC. The incredible value of education./

2012-01-14