Pandigital Supernova & OverDrive?

Kate Butler KateButler at RODGERSLIBRARY.ORG
Wed Jan 11 17:19:21 EST 2012

My mother received a black Pandigital Novel last year for Christmas.  After completing a firmware upgrade, I was able to side load the OMC app, but even though it installed and I was even able to check out and download a book, the app did not work correctly -- the page margins were not enforced so the text flowed off the side of the screen, rendering the book unreadable.

However -- we were able to get the device to work by treating it as a 'dumb' reader, ie, like one of the eInk readers that require a PC to transfer the books. Using Adobe Digital Editions on a PC we could check out the ePub Overdrive books and transfer them to the device via a USB cable. Once there they appeared in the B&N app and could be read as normal. Not ideal for something that's supposed to work like a tablet, but it's something.

Kate Butler
Technology Librarian
Rodgers Memorial Library (Hudson, NH)
http://www.rodgerslibrary.org/

From: Web technologies in libraries [mailto:WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Pruntel,Alison
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:08 PM
To: WEB4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Pandigital Supernova & OverDrive?

Anyone had any luck with the Pandigital tablet/e-reader and OverDrive? While OverDrive lists Pandigital Nova and Pandigital Novel (and apparently only the "white" version) on their compatible device list, trying to install the OverDrive Media Console or the Kindle app did not end up working, at least for the 2 patrons I tried to help today.

The OverDrive Media Console for Android (Pandigital tablet uses the Android operating system) is available in the Android Marketplace (BTW, to use the Android Marketplace/install an app, you need to have a Gmail account...one of my Pandigital patrons couldn't get through the Gmail authentication process). When you try and install, you get an error message that your device is not supported for use with the Android Market (see http://support.google.com/androidmarket/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1141080&topic=1100168&ctx=topic) for details. Pandigital is NOT on the list of supported devices (http://support.google.com/androidmarket/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1727131). So even though they use Android, it's their version, not supported by Google. Pandigital has an "app store" called something like GetJar, but no OverDrive and no Kindle app in there.

Also tried to install the Kindle app. No go in the Android Marketplace per above. You CAN install the Amazon Appstore for Android on the Pandigital, but then when you go to "purchase" the Kindle app (it's free), it kept giving my patron an error that she could not make the purchase because of the way her 1-click ordering was set up. We turned it on, credit card was there, etc.,, but it still didn't work, even though http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200551840_payment?nodeId=200790830#payment leads you to believe it will work.

Anyway, apparently there was a special on QVC for these Pandigitals, so we expect more questions. If anyone has had luck and documented the process, please share. Would love to get these patrons downloading free e-books from the library via Overdrive.

I'm going to try OverDrive support, but thought I'd ask fellow librarians.

Thanks,

Alison Pruntel
Electronic Resources Librarian
Fauquier County Public Library
11 Winchester Street
Warrenton, VA 20186
540-422-8515
alison dot pruntel at fauquiercounty dot gov
FCPL Web Site: http://library.fauquiercounty.gov

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-01-11