QR Codes

Rosenberger, Luke E rosenberger at UTHSCSA.EDU
Sat Apr 14 09:45:59 EDT 2012

Although I agree that the most effective uses of QR codes are to bridge between physical objects/spaces and online information, they can also be a useful tool to bridge the gap between desktop and mobile interfaces.  For example:

1. Libraries may offer a QR code link in their OPACs so that a patron using the OPAC can simply scan the code from the screen using their device before they head off to locate an item in the stacks.

2. QR codes have been used very effectively to link from webpages to apps in the Android Market and iTunes App Store -- it actually can save the time of the user when installing new apps.

Therefore, I would disagree with the general statement "If you offer a QR code on a Web page instead of a simple hyperlink, you are raising a barrier" -- assuming that the target of the QR code is specifically designed for mobile use.

Luke Rosenberger · Director ·
Library Technology & Historical Collections ·
UT Health Science Center San Antonio ·
MSC 7940, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr · San Antonio TX 78229-3900 ·
+1 210.567.2486 · rosenberger at uthscsa.edu ·
http://www.library.uthscsa.edu