QR Codes

Steffen Schilke steffen.schilke at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 14 09:08:35 EDT 2012

Well you can do a lot with qr codes - links are just one small thing out of
the bag of tricks for QR Code - I did not mean to put a qr code on a web
page (I occasionally do it but for a reason:
http://www.qrcode-art.de/qrclock.html  )  I referred to a qr code linking
to a (mobile) web page (or other things - Twitter Follows / Facebook Likes
etc. if you are into social media)

Actually they date back to 1994 (Denso Japan -
http://www.denso-wave.com/qrcode/index-e.html ) and I think the rise of the
smart phones is one of the reasons.

Regards

@QRCodeART

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Richard Wiggins
<richard.wiggins at gmail.com>wrote:

> Nice to see that QR codes have evangelists.
>
> Some things to keep in mind:
>
> QR codes are 2D bar codes.  They apply to physical objects, not Web pages.
>  If you offer a QR code on a Web page instead of a simple hyperlink, you
> are raising a barrier.
>
> QR codes have for some reason become a topic of fashion in the year 2012,
> yet they date back before 2000.
>
> It is especially puzzling when a QR code translates to a simple URL - or
> should.
>
> I don't recall such fascination with conventional bar codes when grocery
> stores adopted the UPC.
>
> /rich
>
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Steffen Schilke <
> steffen.schilke at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi there again,
>>
>> forgot to mention that the best is to link to a mobile web page
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> @QRCodeART

Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/

2012-04-14