[Web4lib] Upgrading staff technology skills

Brandy Bourne bbourne at unca.edu
Thu Mar 31 16:06:16 EDT 2011

I second the lynda.com recommendation.  We've subscribed for a year now, and
it has been hugely popular campus-wide.  I recommend it for those at almost
any level of technological proficiency.  It also has a nice course structure
with a certificate at the end that would probably work well for staff
development.
/Brandy

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Cox, Thomas <Thomas.Cox at tufts.edu> wrote:

> Hi Tim:
>
> I would heartily recommend the lynda.com (http://www.lynda.com) training
> series.  It's the best I've seen and covers a broad, if not dizzying, array
> of software and OS training needs including general topics like security.
>
> Also, take a look at The Technology Challenge initiative enacted by the
> Harold B. Lee Library at Brigham Young University which directly addressed
> the aim of reducing the gap between the technology knowledge of their
> students and that of their staff through self-directed means.  Sorry I don't
> have a URL for this but you may find some information at
> http://www.campustechnology.com.
>
> Please include me in any information you receive.  I'm very interested in
> this as well.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Thom
>

> Thom W. Cox
> Manager of Library Information Technology Services
> Tisch Library
> Tufts University
> Medford, MA
> thomas.cox at tufts.edu
>
> "Every technology has a philosophy which is given
> expression in how the technology makes people  use their minds,
> in how it codifies the world, and in which of our senses it amplifies…”
>    - Neal Postman
>

> On 3/31/11 11:38 AM, "Tim Spindle" <tspindle at gmail.com<mailto:
> tspindle at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello world:
> The Tulsa City-County Library system has created a task force to examine
> how
> to upgrade staff technology skills as a means to enrich customer service.
> Have any libraries undertaken a similar project and if so, would you mind
> sharing your experiences, lessons learned, etc? Feel free to share with the
> list or email me off list.
>
> Additionally, are there any libraries that currently have technology
> competencies for staff that they would be willing to share, again, on or
> off
> list?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Spindle