[Web4lib] Upgrading staff technology skills

Mary Beth Faccioli mbfaccioli at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 19:34:14 EDT 2011

Hi there,
In addition to being a web developer and subscriber to Lynda.com for about 15 years now, I am also a trainer.  While I LOVE Lynda.com, I think you'll need to do at least some work with staff to help them tie what they learn about whatever-software-package to services.  Most of the tutorials on Lynda.com are for specific software.  There's a big leap from there to improved public library customer service.  What are the services that need improving, and how will the tutorials help improve them?  This is important to flesh out in advance, and then allocate the resources beyond a Lynda.com subscription to help staff make the link to services.

In terms of tech competencies, you might check out the Library Support Staff Certification technology competencies - http://ala-apa.org/lssc/for-candidates/competency-sets/technology/ and the WebJunction Competency Index for the Library Field, which includes technology - http://www.webjunction.org/competencies/-/articles/content/67024491.  These might be decent guides to help you start defining competencies for your own staff.  I'm sure there are public libraries that would be willing to share competencies they've developed, but I'm guessing a lot of those folks aren't on this list (because they are trainers/continuing ed folk).

You may want to contact the Oklahoma State Library - they have someone who works with continuing education - and see what resources and advice they may have available re staff tech training.  There may be something statewide you can hook into.

Hope this helps!

Mary Beth Faccioli, MLIS
Instructional Design and Technology Consultant
Colorado State Library