Web 2.0 Experiences

Walt Crawford waltcrawford at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 3 19:59:39 EST 2011

Academic libraries and public libraries are different creatures, to be
sure, and I'm not in a library at all--but I'm completing a study of
2/3 of the nation's public libraries and their use of Twitter and
Facebook (to be published by ALA Editions, probably late 2012), and I
can tell you that hundreds (way more than 1,000, but I don't have the
final # yet) of libraries *do* use Facebook (and hundreds, but
probably less than 1,000, use Twitter), and from what I can see it's
worthwhile for most of them.

No, most of them don't have a high degree of patron engagement as in
comments--but quite a few have some. (Some have a *lot* of
engagement.) And it seems to work well for many libraries as a cheap
source of publicity.

There are certainly scores (maybe hundreds) of cases where libraries
seem to have given up on active social network engagement or where
they really aren't reaching many people. But it's working for many of
them.

walt crawford, not in a library at all...