[Web4lib] Help with a tricky bit of Millennium CSS?

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Fri May 28 09:03:58 EDT 2010

Firebug is not very useful for debugging IE issues. Many sites
generate different code for IE and even different code for various IE
versions, and you won't see that in Firebug. Even if this is not the
case, you can't get a sense of what the code does in IE when you are
looking at Firefox.

IE8 ships with Internet Explorer Developer Tools, a Firebug "tribute".
For IE 6 & 7, you can download the free Internet Explorer Developer
Toolbar at http://bit.ly/1206rr

Thanks,

Cary

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Amy Drayer <amostrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Elizabeth:
>
> The IUG list has some good support with WebPAC issues.  From my own
> experience, I've noticed the html metadata (all the opening HTML code) does
> not get included on several pages that can cause, especially IE, to go into
> quirks mode and do things as you have described.  You may also be missing a
> closing element like </div>, or have one too many (easy to do).
>
> You may want to "view source" on the pages that have the problem to ensure
> the correct <html>, <head>, etc code is at the top; if that isn't the
> problem, you can use Firefox's Webmaster and Firebug tools to make sure your
> code is correct (no missing or extra elements).  Then,  if you are still
> having the problem, you should send your page to the IUG list and see if any
> of us can spot the problem. ;-)
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> In peace,
>
> Amy M. Drayer
> Web and Systems Librarian
> amostrom at gmail.com
> http://www.puzumaki.com
>
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Elizabeth Beers <brixton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm totally stuck on a weird CSS/IE issue in Millennium.  Our site content
>> floats center, but accessing specific screens in the Millennium OPAC causes
>> the page header, footer, and content to float left.  This only happens in
>> IE
>> (surprise).
>>
>> I would love to hear your suggestions for fixing this - or as to where I
>> might look for more support.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Elizabeth
>>
>> Elizabeth Beers
>> Digital Services Assistant
>> Kresge Business Administration Library
>> Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan
>> 701 Tappan Street, Room K3320K
>> Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1234
>> Phone: 734-763-6976 | Fax: 734-764-3839
>> Email: embeers at umich.edu