[Web4lib] Academic library website design v. campus design

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Wed Jun 16 10:46:05 EDT 2010

On 6/16/2010 9:07 AM, nancy wrote:
> Is there a trend toward or away from academic library websites including the
> parent institution's navigation links and menus?

I would say this is something University Administrators would love and
Library Web Administrators would not.

The University Administrator would point to the 'consistency' across all
departments doing it this way.  Library Web people would look at it as
so much cruft in an already crowded interface whose primary goal -- teh
Biblio -- is quite specialized.

When you're looking for a couple of "scholarly sources" for your 10-page
research paper, do you really need a top navigation that prominently
displays links to Campus Admissions and Housing plus a search box that
gives you results from the rest of the university's site?

The better route, IMHO, is to focus more on faithfully following
university identity and brand standards.

LEO

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)

aim/msn/yhoo/goog: 'leorobertklein'