[Web4lib] Academic library website design v. campus design

Yitzchak Schaffer yitzchak.schaffer at gmx.com
Thu Jun 17 12:29:31 EDT 2010

On 6/16/2010 10:07, nancy wrote:
> Is there a trend toward or away from academic library websites including the
> parent institution's navigation links and menus?

Not knowing any trends, I'll editorialize instead... >:)

I am strongly pulled in the consistency direction; it seems to me more
appropriate that all departments within the institution should have
similar look and feel to their sites, from a user experience perspective.

That said, we have our own Drupal-based site for our library system,
totally independent of the college site; we check for updates to the
college links each day and push them into our system.  There are styling
differences within the page, but the overall look and feel is maintainted.

Compare these:
http://www.touro.edu/lrc/oltutoring.asp [college]

http://www.tourolib.org/services/guides-tutorials/evaluating-web-resources
http://www.tourolib.org/about/news