[Web4lib] Marketing databases; WAS Link to Library site on College website

Robert Balliot rballiot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 13:09:38 EST 2010

I could show you how to market a database effectively - it is like any other
product.  But,  consider marketing from a broader sense. If you owned a
Toyota dealership, you would expect to benefit from multi-channel marketing
by the manufacturer. The manufacturer prepares promotional materials
and advertises on TV, Web, and print making consumers aware of their brand.
Because, it is their product you are selling.

Why wouldn't a library expect the same when they provide access to an
external vendor's database? You are selling their product to the patrons.
You demo their product for patrons.  They benefit from your sales pitch.
So, why wouldn't a local news search result in a link to the library funded
database with the archives?    Where are the manufacturers promoting their
products for you? How have they promoted their brands to validate the value
of your services? I know that lots of libraries get the benefit of some
paper signs and such from the vendors, but who really looks at those?

I think most libraries know what  great resources you can get from Gale and
EBSCO.  And, I think Lexis-Nexis and Westlaw are very effective partners at
marketing their products. However, public library databases have been
basically a gravy train for the vendors - simply provide a connection and
collect the rewards.  But, all library funding is under review and funding
without usage is not sustainable.

R. Balliot
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com