[Web4lib] Local Book iPhone application

Kozlowski,Brendon bkozlowski at sals.edu
Thu Jan 7 10:49:42 EST 2010

Just for clarification, not all organizations are able to be pulled - or have been pulled - automatically by Google to be listed in Google Maps.  Until I registered a Google Local Business Center account for our library (http://www.google.com/local/add), we were not listed in the Google Map search results.  Shortly after having added our library, our business hours also showed up in standard Google search results.

There are employees of Google Maps that fill in as much data that they can, and automate as much as they can. For a short experimental period there were also people that worked as "Google Local Business Referral Representatives" (http://www.google.com/local/referral) who would go to local businesses to manually add them and their information as well as inform these businesses of the benefits of Google.

So, no.  Even Google in all of its might and power are unable to automatically list every organization without intervention and help from its users.  This is only the initial preview of the Local Book iPhone application, and critiques are generating great ideas.  We will just have to wait and see where it goes - hopefully the app will eventually allow for adding information of all sorts directly through the app.

In the meantime I'm going to try the WorldCat app since it supports 1st gen devices.  If nothing else, competition breeds advancement.

Brendon Kozlowski
Web Administrator
Saratoga Springs Public Library
49 Henry Street