[Web4lib] Local Book iPhone application

David Friggens friggens at waikato.ac.nz
Thu Jan 7 15:47:33 EST 2010

> That means it is NOT pre-populated with everyone bookstore and library.

I didn't say "every", and I don't think you did originally either. Considering the discussion here a couple of months back about a list of all the libraries is the world I doubt that there is such a complete list anywhere. Crowdsourced approaches like LibraryThing Local are likely to get the best results in coverage over time (WorldCat is currently more comprehensive in library coverage I think, but does not include bookstores or writers/readers festivals etc).

> You also  do NOT need to register with Google Maps to be included.

As Brendon Kozlowski pointed out, you may not need to register, but you can and you may need to.
(I'll also point out that I was ambiguous in the use of "register" in my previous email, using it both for "being in the database" and "creating an account".)

> It pulls from many existing sources.
> It does not require organization or individual entering a library
> into a database to appear on a map.

This is true, and it has its advantages and disadvantages. It's able to get more organisations with less work, but the quality isn't necessarily as good. (For example, searching locally for library brings up a number of schools and early childhood centres, because Google pulled the details from an Education Gazette job listing page and irrelevantly includes the first job - a children's librarian at a public library - in their descriptions.) It's a tradeoff between quality and speed, and both Google and LibraryThing have chosen the approach that works best for the goals they're working towards.

Cheers
David