[Web4lib] academic libraries: oversight for usability tests

McAulay, Elizabeth emcaulay at library.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 2 20:17:01 EDT 2009

Hi Clayton,

The experience of a group here at UCLA Library has been a little mixed,
too. Although the message we received from the IRB office is that unless
we plan to publish or publicize the results, then we do not need review.
The studies we have passed through IRB have been as being under the
exempt category. The only way, I think, to do rapid usability testing is
to be able to bypass an IRB review. So, we're taking the approach of
choosing to do more formal testing and publishing sometimes and less
formal other times.

Best,
Lisa

Elizabeth "Lisa" McAulay
Librarian for Digital Collection Development
Digital Library Program
UCLA Library
390 Powell Library Building
Box 957201