[Web4lib] academic libraries: oversight for usability tests

susan teague-rector seteague at vcu.edu
Wed Sep 2 17:05:39 EDT 2009

Hi Clayton,

Last year we submitted our larger usability study information to the
university IRB. After they reviewed all of the information, they
concluded that the study fell under the exempt category (which I think
all usability studies do). We're also doing rapid prototype testing and
not going through IRB. I tend to think that if you're going to publish
about the study itself, you should probably play it safe and send your
documents to IRB (most likely, it will fall under exempt). If you're not
going to publish, I would not do all of the IRB paperwork as it's pretty
involved.

Hope this helps

Susan
Web Applications Manager