[Web4lib] academic libraries: oversight for usability tests

Ranti Junus ranti.junus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 16:14:40 EDT 2009

Our IRB insisted on reviewing our consent form, documentation on how
we would conduct the study, and the survey questions. I understand
they just want to be sure that out test subjects (the users) are
informed about their rights clearly and none of the questions/study
could be used to identify the subject. Then there's a yearly renewal
application. Every five years, we're required to resubmit the whole
thing again. So I just resending the same thing over and over again.

After a few years, they reorganized and finally decided that website
usability study is fell under exempt category. We no longer need to
renew our application. We do have to resubmit the documents if, for
some reason, the method of conducting the study or the consent form is
changed.

I noticed you work in a Health Science center. Perhaps that might be a
reason why they don't bother to distinguish the human subject for
health/medical research and for website study?  Just wondering...

ranti.

--
Bulk mail.  Postage paid.