[Web4lib] Problems with MySpace

Charles Gambrell gambrellcb at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 13:59:25 EDT 2009

We have recently begun having a problem with customers in our library
accessing their MySpace accounts.  I am  wondering if anyone else is
experiencing a similar issue.

The situation - A customer goes to www.myspace.com.  We use 8e6 as a
filter and a customer must get an override from the staff to access
the MySpace page.  The staff person does the override and
www.myspace.com can be accessed.  The customer signs into her or his
account.  Very soon after signing in a window opens over the
myspace.com page that has the heading "Find and invite your friends
to myspace."  If you click on "No, thanks" at the bottom of the page
or the "x" in the top right hand corner of the box, the hour glass
appear  and everything seems to stall.  After a while the box may
close but if you try to access your myspace account the override is
requested again.  It would appear the script that is opening the
request window is causing the override to fail.

This is not happening to all myspace accounts.  Some people have no
problem accessing their accounts.

I contacted 8e6 support and they have as of yet not found an
explanation.  Well, they did say the javascript that is opening the
window might be conflicting with another script on the myspace.com
page or perhaps the myspace.com account is somehow "corrupted."  Not much help.

Anyone seen anything like this?  Any suggestions?

Thanks for any and all help offered.

Charles