[Web4lib] Save problems on public computers

Janet Fine janetrfine at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 12:23:53 EST 2009

1.15.09

Hi All,

We just discovered a problem with Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 NR3  which is loaded
on our public and staff computers.  The problem exists when using either Microsoft Office XP or Microsoft Office 2003 or Microsoft Office 2007.  The problem is:

   The user can save a document to a removeable device such as a flash drive or
   floppy disc.  When the user attempts to make changes to the document and save it
   to the flash drive, the document gets corrupted and deletes itself from the flash or floppy.

   This does not happen immediately--it takes several edits and saves for the problem
   to present iteself.  The errror message is:

   Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error

We removed Symnatec Endpoint Protection 11 NR3 from a workstation and we were able to
make numerous changes and saves to the document on the flash.  However, we are very hesitant
to remove anti-virus protection from our computers.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Were you able to resolve this problem?  Any information
and solutions will be greatly appreciated and shared with the group.

Janet Fine Department Head, Circulation and Computer Services Great Neck Library 159 Bayview Avenue Great Neck, NY 11023 (516) 466-8055 ext. 205