[Web4lib] help with MSIE 6 browser display problems

Rachel Davis rdavis at thomas.lib.me.us
Wed May 7 15:07:59 EDT 2008

I am having trouble with our new site displaying correctly in MSIE
6/Windows 2000, and MSIE/Windows XP.  I'm not sure if it has to do with my
Doctype declaration, or a problem with my CSS, or something else.  Does
anyone have any insight for me?

Please keep in mind that I'm a children's librarian--not a web designer--
and I'm self-taught as far as web page design is concerned.  I've created
this site for our library using Dreamweaver from scratch (and modifying an
established stylesheet), and I am aware there are probably some errors in
there somewhere. I do have 6 errors when I validate the site through the
W3C Markup Validation service,  mostly relating to language=javascript
triggering a "there is no attribute language" error, and other attribute
errors that I'm not sure how to fix or if it's necessary to fix them (most
of them seem to be result of code put in by Dreamweaver.)  I don't imagine
these are the source of the browser display problems, however.  If you are
willing to take a look and give me some advice, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Here's the URL:[ http://www.thomasmemoriallibrary.org/index.shtml ]
http://www.thomasmemoriallibrary.org/index.shtml

Rachel