[Web4lib] Open source support models

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 10 07:40:39 EDT 2008

Karen G. Schneider wrote:
> Lin Light wrote, "One example is the decision taken place regarding open
> source ILS. If your institution has the staffing that is up on and into
> open source it is fine. Many libraries will stay with MS products because
> at current that is what their IT is schooled in. Yes they can be trained
> but we don't pay that much for licensing when compared to training of not
> just IT, but other library staff that will provide frontline support."
>
> Just to clarify, there are (at least) three companies now providing
> support for open source library software: Equinox for Evergreen, Liblime
> for Koha, and Media Flex for OPALS. These follow similar models to
> companies outside LibraryLand such as Red Hat for Linux and Acquia for
> Drupal, where you pay for support, development, migration, etc., but the
> code is free and open.
>
> I realize that this information is just now seeping out into the broader
> consciousness of LibraryLand and there is still a perception in some areas
> that "open source" means "tightrope with no nets." You certainly CAN
> download, install, and maintain OSS library software on your own, but you
> don't HAVE to. (There are even hosted models.)

There are actually very compelling arguments for using OSS at the
library or enterprise level. I know of several other companies that not
only provide support, development, migration, but also training on
enterprise level open source software.

In fact, as part of the development team on a couple of open source
software products that appeared to have quite a few institutions
chomping at the bit to be release so that the could start using them
during one of our collaborative development meeting we joked about
quiting our jobs once the products were released and forming a company
to provide support and training for the products.

Let's face it, very few good software applications (OSS or commercial)
integrate into the enterprise out of the box. There always is some
amount of custom configuration, customization, and possibly even
development that needs to be done to get it into production.  Then there
is training and maintenance to be considered.